top of page

1963 Aston Martin DB4 'SS Engine' Series V Convertible

RM Sotheby's

1963 Aston Martin DB4 'SS Engine' Series V Convertible
RM Sotheby's
info_icon.png

If you are interested in the content of this listing, please contact the Dealer. Contact details are indicated below in the section "Contact the Dealer." Should you require confidential support from SpeedHolics for your inquiry, kindly complete the section "I am Interested." This listing is provided by SpeedHolics solely for the purpose of offering information and resources to our readers. The information contained within this listing is the property of the entity indicated as the "Dealer." SpeedHolics has no involvement in the commercial transactions arising from this listing, and we will not derive any financial gain from any sales made through it. Furthermore, SpeedHolics is entirely independent from the "Dealer" mentioned in this listing and maintains no affiliation, association, or connection with them in any capacity. Any transactions, engagements, or communications undertaken as a result of this listing are the sole responsibility of the parties involved, and SpeedHolics shall bear no liability or responsibility in connection therewith. For more information, please refer to the "Legal & Copyright" section below.

info_icon.png

SH ID

24-0325004

info_icon.png

FEATURED BY SPEEDHOLICS

info_icon.png

Sold

info_icon.png

United Kingdom

info_icon.png

Dealer

Engine number 370/1193/SS

 

Body number 1172/R

 

One of only 32 DB4 convertibles supplied new with the uprated “Special Series” engine

 

Equipped with its matching-numbers SS engine, overdrive, and electric windows

 

Finished in its factory-correct colour combination of Caribbean Pearl over Dark Blue with a black mohair convertible hood and tonneau cover

 

Known ownership history from new; in the care of the consigning owner since December 1972

 

Restored by Trinity Engineering Ltd between 2007 and 2010 with costs exceeding £140,000

 

A worthy entrant to events and shows; winner of the 2016 Jarnac Concours d’Elegance

Description

Rolling off the production line in November 1963, this Aston Martin DB4 ‘SS Engine’ Series V Convertible left the factory in the stunning shade of Caribbean Pearl over a Dark Blue Connolly hide. From the factory build sheet (available to view on file), of note was the “Special Series” engine, installed in just 32 DB4 Convertibles. Arriving at the official dealer, Eton Motor Group in Slough, this DB4 Convertible was first registered for the road on 21 November. Likely used as a demonstrator, the car had covered 2,000 miles before being sold, according to service records. The Aston Martin’s first owner—an executive for Triplex Foundries Group Ltd., one of the UK’s most prominent automotive casting producers at the time—this DB4 remained in the care of its first owner until 12 February 1965. At this point, chassis 1172/R was acquired by W. Roy Coulton of Warwickshire. He retained the car for two years, before selling to Geoffrey Saunders of The Hey House, in Warwickshire. Just before Saunders acquired this DB4 Convertible, the service records noted the mileage as 9,976 miles and that a new flywheel and clutch had been installed. Mr. Saunders covered a considerable number of miles, with the odometer noted at 22,925 in July 1968. By May 1970, the DB4 was with its fourth registered keeper, a Mr. P. H. Penn of West End, Surrey, but by January 1971, the car had been sold to Paul Mervyn. Mr. Mervyn enjoyed this DB4 Convertible for two years, before selling to the consigning owner on 9 December 1972, at which point the odometer was noted at 50,570 miles. In five detailed notebooks, the consignor has noted every event that occurred with chassis 1172/R from the date of purchase, from filling up with petrol, to oil changes, servicing, and much more. He has personally driven more than 200,000 miles in this wonderful Aston Martin over a 50-year period, with the total milage believed to at around 265,000 miles. Invoices on file from Southern Classics Ltd of Chertsey, Surrey show that a full restoration took place from 1983 to 1985, with this including a full repaint and retrim. At this stage, approximately 100,000 miles had been covered. In 1990, the engine was rebuilt by K. Shergold of Cheshunt, Hertfordshire. Continuing his use beyond the millennium, specialist restorers at Trinity Engineering Ltd carried out a complete nut-and-bolt restoration on chassis 1172/R from April 2008. Detailed in numerous invoices, over £140,000 was spent, and with the discovery of the original colour, the bodywork and interior were returned to their factory-correct specification. The owner collected the restored Aston Martin on 15 July 2010, and at his request had a kilometre display fitted and left-hand-drive headlamps, with the intention of driving extensively in France. The odometer reads 34,619 kilometres at the time of cataloguing—though the total figure will be higher, reflecting the car’s known history. Upon inspection, chassis 1172/R was found to retain its matching-numbers engine. The vehicle is accompanied by a large history file containing build sheets, period logbooks, an owner’s manual, maintenance notebooks from 1972 to present, and reams of invoices. A miles per hour speedometer and right-hand-drive headlamps will be refitted at the time of sale. Presented today in its factory-correct colour combination of Caribbean Pearl Blue over Dark Blue Connolly hide, this rare DB4 Convertible comes with unbeatable provenance and would be a wonderful addition to the new owner’s garage for the next chapter of this storied car’s life.